Monday 17 October 2011

Travel - The Marquesas

I said I would be doing travel posts on my blog, about many different places and cultures, and so I will. Basically, I just looked up 'countries of the world' on Google, chose one, and researched a bit. I was going to start with Afghanistan, for the simple reason that it begins with A and hardly anyone knows of its insane beauty, but no matter where you go, there are very few pictures that don't have some element of war in them and that aren't copyrighted. So I'll return to Afghanistan some other time. Preferably when the war has ended.
Instead, I am going to talk about somewhere I have always wanted to go. The Marquesas Islands, one of the largest groups of islands in French Polynesia, can be found (can - what am I on about? Like sometimes they're there and sometimes they just disappear!) between 400 and 600 miles South of the equator (that big invisible line that runs round the middle of the world, for anyone who never did Geography). There are 10 main islands (according to Wikipedia - I'm not a travel journalist I just dream of travelling, so don't have a go at me). These are (from NW to SE):
  • Hatutaa
  • Motu One
  • Eiao
  • Nuku Hiva
  • Ua Huka
  • Ua Pou
  • Hiva Oa
  • Tahuata
  • Moho Tani
  • Fatu Hiva
I seriously hope someone appreciates this. Do you have any idea how long it took me to copy all those names?!?! I love them though. I think my favourite is Ua Huka or Hatutaa :)
Anyway, on with the imaginary journey. I could tell you loads of stuff about the first settlers (Polynesians, predating 100AD), but that doesn't interest me so tough. If that's what you want, go somewhere else. This is my blog, and I'll tell it the way I want, with lots of rambling on about random stuff (like now).
The Marquesas are an extremely remote group of islands, about 852 miles (that looks tiny in the atlas - my god the world must be huge!) away from Tahiti, that exotic place that I don't care about but lots of people do. Together, the Marquesas Islands cover over 1 thousand square miles (that's a lot).

Te Henua Enana (North Marquesan) and Te Fenua Enata (South Marquesan), as they are called in the native Marquesan language, which, I'm guessing, is Marquesan, both mean 'The Land of Men'. I'm not sure whether to get annoyed because it sounds sexist or imagine loads of buildings. Neither. I'm too busy.

Okay, I'm bored with all the geographical stuff already. I'm going to tell this how I see it.
Basically, the Marquesas Islands are a group of totally lush islands (never!) found in French Polynesia in the South Pacific. Basically, go to Peru in South America (I thought Peru was in Asia until I was about 11!), and head left for ages. You never know. You might fins it.
Well, the Marquesas are completely lush. They are not famous for anything much, as far as I know, but you should go there because they are truly gorgeous. If you don't believe me, have a look at the pics below :-)











Okay, several things I should say here:
1. I don't know which pic is from which island or whatever, except that the last one is Fatu Hiva.
2. This post is completely crap and I will do the next country properly, but tbh this one is rushed because I have 4 different essays to learn off by heart by tomorrow and Wednesday plus Maths homework, and also I am extremely tired because I have spent the weekend looking after a friend who got beaten up so badly he was in hospital. I do apologise though. I will put every effort into making sure the next post is a good one.
3. There should be more pics, and better organised I know. Look at number 2 for the reason.

I honestly have nothing else to say except, if you ever feel like buying someone an island, remember I love you and also I love the Marquesas ;-)

1 comment: